Virtuoso Pianists Competition
- Date: Sunday April 22, 2018
- Time: All day
- Location: Simsmore Square - 540 Hopmeadow Street, Simsbury CT
- Chair: Malgosia Lis
- DEADLINE: Tuesday April 3, 2018, postmarked; students print out registration form and send it with the check to the address provided on the form.
PLEASE NOTE: Students participating in Rising Pianists Competition will not be eligible to participate in Virtuoso Pianists Competition.
- The Competition is open to students of teachers who are HMTA members.
- The Competition is open to students in grades 3 to 12.
- Students will compete within their age group.
- Age groups are as follows:
- Group 1: grades 3 and 4
- Group 2: grades 5 and 6
- Group 3: grades 7 and 8
- Group 4: grades 9 and 10
- Group 5: grades 11 and 12
- The Competition will be open to the public. Performance time limits will be observed.
- Winners of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd prizes, as well as honorable Mentions, will be chosen.
- Registration deadline is April 3rd, 2018, POSTMARKED.
- Teachers will be notified of results on the evening of April 23th. The results will be posted online the same evening.
- Repertoire Requirements:
- All music must be original piano music, no arrangements or simplifications are permitted.
- All music must be performed from memory.
- Entrants must provide printed scores for the judges, with (optional) measure numbers marked at the beginning of each system.
- Students will perform TWO contrasting pieces from two different periods within the following time suggestions:
- Group 1: 6 minutes
- Group 2: 8 minutes
- Group 3: 11 minutes
- Group 4: 13 minutes
- Group 5: 18 minutes
- In case of transitional composers like Schubert, please use discretion in choosing contrasting pieces.
- The performances will be timed and stopped when the time limit has been reached. Stopping the performance DOES NOT influence judging in any way.
- Registration fees are as follow: Group 1 - $30; Group 2 - $35; Group 3 - $40; Group 4 - $45; Group 5 - $50.
- Winners Concert:
- April 29th at 2 PM and 4 PM at Trinity College Austin Arts Center, 300 Summit Street, Hartford